I know, I have been a slacker with putting together a post for the Violet QAL. The holidays really got away from me and then the world is just nuts. This post is going to have some rough details so that you can be prepared to start sewing.
Like the Tessa QAL, this is going to be somewhat informal. This time there will be prizes, so if you are going to be ordering fabric, please take a look at the QAL sponsor's shops. They have very generously offered prizes and/or discounts to make this a little more fun. Full details on the prizes will be posted when the QAL begins, but here are the sponsors so you can go ahead and start supporting them:
Long Arm Quilters
Who should join this QAL?
Maybe I'm biased, but obviously everyone should join. However, I know we are all busy and there are a lot of QALs going on right now. If you would like to make a Violet Quilt but can't join in with us right now, all of this info will remain on the blog for future use.
I gave this quilt an INTERMEDIATE rating - it is not difficult to piece, but the piecing is not traditional. Even if you are a newer quilter, joining in with a QAL is a great time to try something new because we are all here to support you and there will be extra instruction on how to make the pattern.
Getting read for the qalSo, what do you need to do to get ready for the QAL?
1. The main thing is that you need to have the pattern (which is on sale until January 25th). It doesn't matter if you have the paper or PDF pattern.
2. You need some fabric, of course! If you are like me, your stash is overflowing, but you might want to buy new fabric anyway (ha ha!) so I am going to give you the fabric requirements here so that you have plenty of time.
If you want more info about which fabrics are which, make sure you download the free coloring sheets to help you plan and find out more about the fabric requirements in the pattern.
3. There is also an option to make a rainbow version, yay! My plan is to make one non-rainbow quilt and one rainbow quilt during the QAL, so tips will be given for both. The fabric requirements below list the colors that I used in my original rainbow version of the quilt - they are all Cotton Couture Solids - but you can substitute them for your favorite rainbow of fabrics.
PARTICIPATION AND INTERACTION IN THE QAL
- Follow the #violetqal hashtag on Instagram
- Comment on others' posts - this is a good way to encourage each other!
- Post a photo introducing yourself
- Post a photo showing your fabric selection for the QAL