I have a new pattern for you today - this is the Carly Quilt! This one is extra special for me because (1) it is so versatile and can be made with just about any fabrics you throw at it (including scraps!) and (2) it is named after my sister!
My mom had 3 kids in 5 years (I'm the oldest), then 5 years later she had two more kids. In our family we had the "older kids" and the "little girls." Carly is the oldest of the little girls - she is 10 years younger than I am (I am the oldest kid in the photo below, she is the baby, my grandparents are in the back). She is also my sibling that I have the most in common with and she in her husband moved to Oregon last year so she only lives an hour away from me.
When I have tried to match family names to patterns, it has been a little bit tricky because some patterns just don't FEEL like the right one for a particular person. It is also tricky because I didn't want to offend anyone by having one sibling go first, but I already created problems by naming this pattern after my youngest sister last year (I promise Kara, you will get a pattern soon!).
There is a lot to love about this pattern -
- It is beginner-ish friendly! It might be a little ambitious for a very first quilt, but it is definitely a great project if you have one or two finished quilts under your belt.
- It is fat eighth/fat quarter friendly! Woohoo!
- It works just as well with solids as it does with prints.
- It is scrap friendly - I will share photos of my scrappy version later this week. It is great for using up what you have.
- It is very stash friendly - While using a collection or a coordinated group of fabrics is always wonderful, you can pretty much throw anything at this quilt and it will work.